A Hazard Study is a regulatory study included in the legislation on Classified Installations for Environmental Protection (ICPE).
It is required as part of the Operating Licence Application file or specified by Prefectural Decree, in accordance with article R.512-31 of the French Environmental Code.
It is drafted under the responsibility of the operator and its purpose is to analyse the industrial risks with respect to the environment and to highlight the operator's control of these risks.
In accordance with article R.512-9 of the French Environmental Code, the Hazard Study is mandatory for any ICPE subject to authorisation or to authorisation with constraints.
It is re-examined or updated every five years for ICPEs subject to authorisation with constraints.
The Hazard Study must satisfy the provisions of the decree dated 29 September 2005 relating to the assessment and integration of the probability of occurrence, the kinetics, intensity of effects and severity of the consequences of potential accidents in Hazard Studies for Classified Installations subject to authorisation.
The Hazard Study, established for industrialists in accordance with the decree dated 29 September 2005, includes :
- identification of the hazard potentials and of the worst-case scenarios ;
- identification and characterization of the hazard potentials, by allocating a kinetics rating for each hazardous phenomenon selected ;
- characterisation of the intensity of the effects of the hazardous phenomena retained with modelling of the accident scenarios (fire, dispersion of hot and cold smoke, explosion, etc.) ;
- the analysis of past accidents and incidents ;
- a preliminary assessment of the risks, by allocating a severity rating and probability of occurrence rating, estimated after modelling the accident scenarios;
a detailed study of the reduction of the risks, by assessing the criticality of the accident scenario retained, taking into account the safety fences in place (the bow-tie approach) ;
- a search for measures to control the risks, in terms of prevention and protection.
The CNPP team of consultants and engineers drafts Hazard Studies for plant operators in all industrial sectors, whether they are subject to authorisation or to authorisation with constraints (SEVESO).
Tél : +33 (0)22.214.171.124.50
Fax : +33 (0)126.96.36.199.84
E-mail : email@example.com